So, you’re sitting around talking with friends when the subject of car insurance comes up. You find out some of them are paying a lot less than you are. But guess what? Really cheap car insurance is no accident. Your friends likely followed a few simple tips to get a better rate.
Understand that car insurance companies use a number of different factors to determine how much they are going to charge. Some of those factors you have no control of, such as your age and sex. Nevertheless, most of them you can control. Those factors include:
- the make and model of your car
- your driving record
- your credit history and score
- the size of the deductible you are willing to accept.
Prevention Goes a Long Way
The most important thing we can tell you about really cheap car insurance is that prevention goes a long way. In other words, just as healthy eating habits can prevent disease, good driving habits can prevent excessively high insurance rates.
Don’t believe us? Here are a couple of things to consider:
- Accidents – Every time a driver files an accident claim it costs the insurance company money. And in most cases, claims far exceed the amount of money the customer has paid in through premiums. So every accident increases the risk your insurance company will lose money. If you have a record littered with accidents, you are going to pay more.
- Minor Violations – When you are ticketed for a minor violation – say making a turn without signaling – that violation goes on your record. Multiple violations tell your insurance company that you are careless behind the wheel. Being careless results in higher insurance premiums.
- Major Violations – It goes without saying that the most serious violations not only result in higher premiums, they can bump you into a high-risk pool. These serious violations include DUI/DWI, leaving the scene of an accident, and allowing your insurance to lapse.
It Pays to Shop
One of the dirty little secrets of car insurance rates is that there is no standard by which everyone is equally charged. In other words, you are rated on each of the individual criteria an insurance company uses to determine premiums. Those ratings are entered into a complex mathematical formula based on statistical data.
The use of such formulas should make it clear that insurance rates will vary from one company to the next. The variation is what makes it possible to get really cheap car insurance if you are willing to shop around.
How do you shop around? The old way of doing it was to contact a local independent agent and let him do the searching for you. The problem here is that independent agents are bound to a small handful of companies they have agreed to work for. That limits your choices.
Another method is to contact individual insurance companies and ask for quotes from each one. That’s not likely your favorite choice, is it? Probably not. Contacting individual companies is a time-consuming hassle you do not need.
One-Stop Quoting Online
As it turns out, the best way to shop around for really cheap car insurance is to use an online quote sites like YesRate.net. Here you take just a few minutes to fill out the form, then submit it and wait for the quotes to come to you. There’s no faster and easier way to do it.
Really cheap car insurance is no accident. However, you will not get a great price if you don’t go searching for it. Our search tool is available to help you right now; enter your zip code to get started.